This is the original speaker’s chair for the Canadian Parliament in 1867, used by the Honourable James Cockburn. It was bought for the Province of Canada in 1863 and moved to Ottawa after Confederation. It was used until 1873 when it was replaced. It is made of Walnut with velvet seat covers. The design is Gothic, meant to match the architecture of the building. Cockburn kept the chair when he retired and remained within the family until it was donated by his great-granddaughter, Helen Sprott in 1983. This chair will be displayed in the James Cockburn Room of Victoria Hall. For more information, check out these two news stories from Northumberland Today and Northumberland News.
- Happy Birthday, James! A special interview with a Father of Confederation, first speaker of the House of Commons February 13, 2021
- The Honourable James Cockburn Warts and All: A friendly chat about a local historic figure July 28, 2020
- Original speaker’s chair coming to Cobourg in February January 16, 2017
- James Cockburn’s chair will be on display in Cobourg January 6, 2017
- Getting ready for our annual performance this Saturday July 27, 2016